SAMBA PDC

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Mon Feb 8 20:13:19 MST 2010

Craig White wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 18:38 -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:
>
>> This is for curiosity,  I'm not presently trying to implement Windows
>> networking using a Linux box as the Primary Domain Controller.  How
>> would a Linux PDC emulate Active Directory Services?  Do you still need
>> a server grade Windows license running to provide ADS?
>>
> ----
> yes, or if you are really adventurous, you could build a very alpha
> version of Samba 4 which is still too green for packaging yet for any
> distro.
>
> Craig

I'm taking that as "yes" you can run a SAMBA server as a Windows PDC,
but there's really no point because you still need Windows Server 2nnn
to host the active directory.

I have 6 physical machines I would like to network.

* OS X Snow Leopard on late model iMac.
* OS X Snow Leopard on newish Macbook.
* Dual boot: OS X Snow Leopard/Vista on late model Macbook.
* Ubuntu 9.10 desktop (favorite computer) on older Dell Inspiron.
* Ubuntu 9.10 netbook (used as an e-reader) on HP.
* Ubuntu 9.10 host/Win7 guest/XP guest on Lenovo desktop (possible new
favorite computer).

What are some options?