VirtualBox Install

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Mon Feb 8 20:00:25 MST 2010

A while ago I wrote that I wanted to run some Windows OSes as virtual
machines under Linux.  I wound up selecting Sun's VirtualBox.

Ubuntu knew about the VirtualBox package so installation was trivial.
Installing the guest OSes was also pretty easy.  I did learn that if you
made a mistake on the path offered by the installation wizard, you had
to clean up some files by hand, and since I was dealing with MS
activation, I basically had one shot to get it right.

Installing Win7 Ultimate was a cinch.

I had problems installing the purportedly OEM copy of XP Pro I got from
a small vendor on Amazon.  MS Windows Genuine Advantage said it was
probably counterfeit. I took a chance that the offer to buy another
"genuine" copy of XP Pro wasn't phishing (why oh why didn't I check for
a secure connection and a certificate.  I checked later.  The
certificate had expired a year ago.)  After a week I got a CD,
presumably from Microsoft.  I did a clean install with the new disk
without incident.   I just need to delete the potentially bogus XP Pro
guest.