How to 'rsync' from one computer to another

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Wed Feb 3 22:11:26 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
> You can use scp, tar or rsync.
>
> Rsync is a low level copy process that actually takes a great load on
> the system.  Developers often learn it and don't realize that scp will
> work just as well, and maintain all the permissions and ownership.
>
> You can also use NFS to mount a shared directory and have scripts move
> things back and forth.  This is actually a good solution if you have a
> stable unloaded network and are running NFS4.
>
> We always mounted our user directories across the network and used an
> admin share for tar copy and move via cron.
>
> It's really nice to use the same tools in a bin across network machines.
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM,  <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
>> What is the procedure and syntax to 'rsync' all of a specific set of
>> directories and files from one computer to another that are on the same
>> network?
>>
>> I have been burning DVDs on one computer and copying those files onto my
>> other computer(s), but when I download all those files, the permissions
>> are all changed to be non-writeable files and directories.
>>
>> -r--r--r--  1 root root   9598 Feb  2 15:18 filenames
>> dr-xr-xr-x  5 root root   6144 Feb  2 21:06 directory-names
>>
>> Is there some way to globally fix that?
>>
>> Or would 'rsync' be a better solution?
>>
>> I've never used 'rsync' and after reading the 'man' pages, I'm still
>> confused.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this to preserve the file dates and only copy those
>> files that are newer (have more recent dates) onto the target system?

You may want to set up a Rsync server to distribute the files,
especially if you have to distribute to several machines.
Rsync can maintain properties and will update deltas once you have
made the initial distribution.
again - rsync is hosted with the samba folks and there are some great
documentation on site.