Installfest gPXE server

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Dec 31 19:48:46 MST 2010

Thanks Todd,

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Todd Cole <snip> wrote:

>   Hi,
> I just saw the plug Discuss email regarding the PXE server
> We met at the last Installfest and talked about the PXE server. Larry runs
> the Installfest for PLUG and I do the Ubuntu Team and Installfests. Larry
> also does an Installfest in Mesa 2-3 times a year, and the Ubuntu Team has
> done one at Uof A and are working on Kingman as well as other locations.  I
> just read your plug discuss and figured I would email some details Larry and
> I talked about after the last installfest.

I believe we settled on gPXE, since it's so much more robust.

> Larry does more Installfests and has a computer ready for the project.  I
> also have a computer available to do the same with Ubuntu.  Larry's computer
> is an IBM P4 1/2 height desk top, I believe an M50; not sure how big the
> hard drive is.

That should be sufficient.  We might want to add more than one drive (should
you not have any TB IDE/SATA available)?

> I have a mini ITX D510 atom with a 2 TB drive that I would like to set up
> also if time.

Sure we should be able to set them both up in the time window available.

> Current operating systems we use on a regular basis are Ubuntu, Puppy
> Linex, Ferdoa, and occasionally open suse.  We discussed hoping to install
> these at the next Installfest on January 29 if you are available.

We can lay on the ISO's as we go.  But I have a TB USB drive with more than
a few for testing.  We, of course want to ensure that the CRC check and MD
hash key comparison are done on any source we host and install (I can add a
scripted source verify that can be added to a PLUG utilization FAQ
(depending on how much time and complexity we expect to want to invest).

January 29th would be great.  I will act as first build resource.  I can
allow anyone who shows up to have as much involvement as they like.  Anyone
wanting to watch over our collective shoulders while we follow the simple
setup instructions are more than welcome.  I have built and deployed both
PXE and gPXE builds in various configurations, so I am really looking
forward to the eyes glazish wonderousness this gPXE tool will be for all
those ARM (?), ATOM, small form factor systems and Netbooks out there.

I have not talked to Larry recently due to his health issues but will keep
> him informed. Please let me know if if yo have any questions Thanks Todd

Yes I have health issues also, so I understand completely.

I look forward to coaxing this great tool into service for Installfesting!

--

(503) 754-4452
(623) 688-3392

 http://www.obnosis.com