Web Deployment OS or COTS (was RE: Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git)

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Dec 27 13:18:04 MST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com> wrote:

> cPanel huh? Never really thought of that.
>
> As of "now" they basically develop live on the dev host, commit the changes
> to svn, and then someone from my team does a svn update from test and then
> prod. It works for the most part, although frequency and major changes (file
> permission loss is the main issue there) are the issue. They will change
> things at least once a week and more often everyday and I can't keep up.
> Least I forget to mention, there are frequent mistakes (for lack of a better
> word) which sometimes require several pushed a day.
>
> If I had a system that my team built where the dev team had the control and
> access, it would make my life much easier. Of course we're still talking
> about going through change management and all that fun stuff as we get
> tripwire reports each day.
>
> So to sum up; move file (changes only) from dev to test to prod with
> versioning and rollback capabilities. I'm thinking it will be custom
> scripts, although if I can save some time and use something already out
> there, I'm all for it.

Yes, SVN was not really developed for file management, only version control.

Developers when given rsync tend to over use it, and actually suck up all
available resources running it at peak hours. or accidently sync the old
stuff over the new.
Scripted Tar, scp using keys, even kicked off from a usermin, or web control
button (suid), (or via CRON - after a complete backup) seems to work well
for many developers doing releases twice or more a week.
The issues with file permissions in any developer environment are best
handled via CRON file fix: chmod -R go-w /var/www/html | chown -r www
/var/www/* (which is a good security fix also).  Adding the developers to
the same group that the web server runs under in development should also
resolve access issues.
Of course adding webdav to the development platform for SVN writes to web
layer is usable (tortoise SVN right click) but all releases into a
production system must include a Content Management Changelist, Versioning
so a production SVN matches the DEV environment.  This requirement is
somewhat contradictory, as content control and webdav are mutually
exclusive.
Checking in and out via SVN from Dev to Prod using a SVN server (see tracd)
seems to work for many?  However it's universally suggested to check out the
new tree, then copy over the source to prod.  Leaving the .svn files in prod
is messy; even if you can exclude serving them.   Therefore a scripted scp
or rsync, svn checkout and checkin with complete backup is required, either
kicked off via web based RELEASE button, or via scheduled CRON is indicated
to insure that everything is done, and changes available for rollback.  A
rollback process should also be scripted (trust me, script your required
actions now, or deal with chaos later [don't tell anyone, but you can script
your entire job] - python is an excellent scripting language for such and I
believe DJANGO includes a good deal of SVN release tools:
http://www.djangoproject.com/

For those running multiple web servers with redundant content (in high hit
TomCat servers for instance); rsync during low web hit window is still the
best production solution.  Of course a fiber channel based NAS or ganeti
server engineered for shared content is the s-hexy solution to be sure.

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I know Cpanel was designed to do some of this, bu8t not sure if its
>> 100% what you need. maybe peek at usermin it might have the features
>> you want.
>>
>> maybe a stack of rsync to a serve they have access to. once they get
>> it the way it supposed to be fire off a script to merge it into
>> production with backup for easy reversal?
>>
>> most of this is guesswork however what do they need and what is
>> require for data to go live?
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Greets,
>> > I'm looking for either an opensource or commercial package for web
>> > deployment. In the past I have used both Replweb and WebMethods in the
>> > Windoz world, although now I'm looking at a LAMP environment.
>> > The reason I'm looking is because our web team does constant updates and
>> > deployments and I honestly can't keep up with everything else I have to
>> do.
>> > I could give them access to production like they use to have, of course
>> > really don't want that. I could also use svn/git with rsync (which we
>> have
>> > done in the past) or simply manual write custom scripts for everything,
>> > although I really want a turnkey solution.
>> > Ideally I'm looking for something that supports not only version
>> control,
>> > but the standard dev, test, prod method with rollback. I'd like to setup
>> the
>> > infrastructure and walk away, well for the most part anyway. Nice to
>> have
>> > would be a web UI, although it's not required. Right now all I've been
>> able
>> > to find is Rational Build Forge and I'm looking for opinions and
>> experience
>> > from the PLUG.
>> > -Mike
>> >

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

(503) 754-4452
(623) 688-3392

 http://www.obnosis.com