OpenBSD and the FBI

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 20:48:20 MST 2010

Well Fonomo is kinda fun with Pidgin. I wish I could come Lisa but the
2000 miles of space can be cost prohibitive for a person like me. :)

Okay I see where you are talking about the LivePerson, Kayseya and
LogMeIn.... I must be one of the weird ones at least on my home
computers. I do have to say there may be some laxity on my smartphone.
At least as a general rule I don't automate too much of anything. I'm
more hands on and I type my user names, passphrases, etc in every
time. I've had Windows people get mad at me for rebooting their boxes
after clearing everything in a browser and what not when I'm done. As
a side note, I know of a phone someone was rooting and after the root
was done port 23 telnet was opened. It wasn't before the root, and
even with superuser powers they couldn't shut it off. I don't know if
they tried IPTables since it was running Android.

I would have to say those pop up chats and such that really first
started in the Porn industry, and I have just recently noticed that
major companies are picking it up for customer service, and shopping
sites, etc. I don't get pop up boxes too often because browsers can
handle those but the auto chat with me things bug me as an intrusion.
I don't see many ads bc I use my /host.allow /hosts /hosts.deny like I
should... :)

Here again for the average joe most people are not going to get to my
routers as I don't use a lot of defaults and do a little bit of my own
engineering. I NEVER turn on remote access. In fact I found out a
password for an old modem I had and changed its settings so that could
be the first "gate" for me to stop the ISP from messing with router
settings among others things, and looking behind the router to see
what else was attached... NO no no.... The two routers I have are
different classes one is a general consumer level router, and the
other is small business/commercial grade router that has a few more
toys in it... hehehe. I like that one router but dummy me forgot to
order it with wifi... That could be a good thing though.... anyway.
Money allowing the next router I need is going to in the at least $400
commercial range because I don't have a bizillion ports that I need.
Switches work great.

I for the most part 99.9999999% NEVER send html and ALL html, pictures
etc are shut off for EVERYONE -- I trust no one when it comes to
email.. Period! Working in office environments I have seen a few major
viruses breakout in  Fortune 10 companies. Even those people in your
own company could have opened something and be infected, etc.. this
was on Windows boxen, I much more take care of my own. I've been known
to call family members to stop sending me the trash. Even so far as
trim their fwd: fwd: fwd stuff because I don't want spammers
harvesting my email off of their letters.... 99% off my browsing is
https:// In fact my ssh & sshd_configs are set up for a minimum 256bit
enc both ways. All the other weaker ciphers and what not I removed.
You have to be at 256 bits to connect to me.

With TrueCrypt is mainly the labourious time involved that I see as
excessive. The big thing is if your container as a whole which
contains your hidden portion and non hidden portion. If you don't
watch when you open your non-hidden portion and that portion overflows
onto the hidden portion.. ie you put too much junk in there. It gives
no warning and takes the whole container -- hidden and non making no
differences between the two. If Sam has a 80GB container and in that
container makes a 30GB non hidden and 50GB hidden, and Jane comes
along and reverses those numbers for example. The non-hidden or hidden
don't throw up a warning it will overwrite to 50 GB destroying forever
anything else that was originally there. It's almost like having a
flash device and stuffing it cram full instead of leaving some
breathing room consistently and then the flash just dies.

--
gk