ssh

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 16:06:09 MST 2010

So then it would be

     ssh -L localhost:5050:?

where would I tunnel empathy too? I mean empathy is on this machine,,,, I
just want to make it available to everyone. Should I put an astriks  there?

Then I suppose for an address to tunnel to I would put the yahoo server
address (scsa.msg.yahoo.com). Is this right? Would it look like this:

     ssh -L localhost:5050:* scsa.msg.yahoo.com

I am so grateful for the help:)

One further question, which file would I put this line into to make it
available to all users? Right now there is only me but who knows in the
future!

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Kevin Fries <kfries6 at gmail.com> wrote:
Port = a port on your local computer to use to represent the foreign
service.  So in your above case, the 5050 would be your local port and the
service would be available as localhost:5050

> Host = The machine running the service
>
> HospPort = port the service is running on on the remote machine.
>
> Example:
> Many people before webmin added encryption would ssh tunnel to the webmin
> instance.  Lets say you wanted to monitor a machine at 1.2.3.4 that was
> running Webmin on its default port of 10000.  But you also ran Webmin on
> your local machine on its default port of 10000.  Both instances were run
> only against localhost, for security reasons.  You would pick a local port,
> say 10001 (can not use 10000 because it is being used by the local
> instance), then you would issue your tunnel command as such:
>
>  # ssh -L 10001:127.0.0.1:10000 me at 1.2.3.4
>
> simply stated, this command would create a ssh tunnel for username me, at
> 1.2.3.4.  Once established, it will create a tunnel to that machine's
> localhost instance port 10000, and tunnel it to your local machines port
> 10001.
>
> Now you would be able to access webmin on your machine at localhost:10000
> and the remote machines webmin at localhost:10001
>
> I assume you are trying to do something similar to this, and hopefully this
> example will assist you.
>
> Kevin Fries