rsync help the gramma

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 12:10:21 MST 2010

cp -a /home/orangeroot1000
/media/MaxtorUSBHDD/OrangeRoot1000Backups/Lappie$(date -u
+%Y%m%d-%H:%M)

Cron jobs are wonderful, if you are backing up any system files root
will need to do the cron, otherwise $user is sufficient. The example
above is using cp command but rsync would work the same for all the
date stuff so you never have to mess with dates. The nice thing about
rsync is you could continue a full backup each month, but the beauty
behind rsync is that it does one MASTER backup then unless you delete
it will always add too that original with new data, SAVING all the old
that sometimes you find out 3 days after you deleted it that I really
needed that information. This is why I personally only do a MANUAL
delete of older files and never automatic.

Have fun rsyncing..

vp