The Sysadmin career field outlook

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Dec 8 23:44:20 MST 2010

Yeah, I'm in the process of learning some new skills since mainframe
software programming has gone to the pasture to be burried!

I regret I didn't pick up and begin learning some of the newer
technologies some years ago so no time like now to get started.  I've
been giving thought to sys admin work as a possible direction but then
most of my experience so far has been in programming so figured it
maybe more proodent to study newer languages like perl, python, php,
wet dev, etc.  It's an exciting time to go out and learn new stuff but
it will mean an even longer time before I can really pay the bills the
way I want.  Thank God for Social Security Disability in the
meantime. <smile>

PS: I was laid off last spring so congrats on getting a new job in
such a short time given this screwed up economy.