How to get audacity to record internet sounds?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Dec 7 21:45:59 MST 2010

Eric,

Audacity works sort of in Orca but as a side by side comparison, I
would use Goldwave in that other OS for accessibility purposes.

But if all you want to do is capture the audio stream from the net, I
would use mplayer and I will paste in a little ditty script I use to
make the command easier.  The only downside is the captured file will
be encoded in the exact format as it comes from the stream. So an mp3
stream will end up as a mp3 file.  If you want to capture as a wav
file for further processing, then this solution wouldn't be the
answer.

Here is my script as promised.

#!/bin/sh
# Capture a stream with mplayer

STREAM=$1
FILE=$2
mplayer -playlist $STREAM -dumpstream -dumpfile $FILE

Note that this script doesn't automatically name the file with the
appropriate format in mind so it helps greatly if you know the format
of the stream before running this.