Versioning system - Subversion Vs. Git

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 22:23:32 MST 2010

One thing I would note is that some revision control systems are about
versions of files, often groups of files with the same version number. Git
is different. It is about changes. This paradigm shift was difficult for me,
but once I got over it, Git really made sense to me.
Also, some version control systems allow "locking" a file. Neither SVN or
Git (as far as I know at least) allow this feature. I've only had a few
changes where this burned me. The nice thing about Syntevo's software is the
built in Beautiful Diff-like system that allows you to diff multiple changes
or versions of a file making it clear where the bug was introduced.

Thanks,
Eric