Booting from a USB Drive

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Dec 6 21:52:30 MST 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 07:26:33PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> Sure, that is why someone told you above to use the UUID to identify the
> drive instead of the changeagble /dev/?da type references. Here is a
> reference:
>    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

With this last test, I did use the UUIDs but still same problem.  When
looking at the /dev/disk directory, there were no sym links pointing
to anything on the /dev/sdb device.  This was because the /dev/sdb
device never got loaded for some reason.  That's what I'm now trying
to figure out.  Actually at the time, I was looking at
/dev/disk/by-label (I labeled my linux pertition as linux sho it
should have been there.  I forgot to look at the by-uuid directory but
I was using the uuid method to identify the paths in grub's menu.lst
file.