Booting from a USB Drive

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Dec 6 15:55:42 MST 2010

I'm pretty much doing all that though it is with Arch Linux.  What
seems to be at the core of the matter is When I use the installation
media from CDROM, The internal hard disk, containing original windows
partitions, is /dev/sda and the attached USB drive is /dev/sdb; so far
so good.

The instalation sequence proceeds along just fine with that
construct.  When it comes to grub, grub sees the internal disk as
(hd0) and the attached drive as (hd1); note this is while I'm still in
the live CD environment and when I chroot to the USB drive for
configuration.  Before chrooting, I mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev so my
devices can be found when I do the grub setup in my chroot
environment.  Hope I didn't lose anybody yet.

Now when I boot the machine and choose USB from the BIOS boot menu,
grub starts up but now the USB drive is (hd0) and the internal disk is
(hd1); no, I did not transpose anything yet in this message.  Now at
this point, I get the boot menu with the two Arch linux entries and
after choosing the first one, the initial RAMFS loads so at this
point, my USB drive is accessed fine.  But along here, my internal
hard disk is being discovered to be /dev/sda and shown accordingly.
This list time, /dev/sdb wasn't even mentioned.  After getting dumped
out into the emergency shell, I decided to try looking for /dev/disk
and then went into the by-label directory and saw entries for sda1,
sda3 and sda4.  No mention of my linux partition.

Again, the bottom line here is for some reason, it can't find my USB
drive during the boot sequence even though it just loaded the RAMFS
from that same device just a few moments before.  Does this make any
sense?