Best Way to Multi-Boot?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Dec 6 06:57:49 MST 2010

I don't have quite the same situation, but I do need fairly large storage shared between multiple systems.
I use a nice little 2TB NAS box for the storage, since then it's on a separate system (so one power surge doesn't take out everything), I can use cron to schedule rsync backups, and I can do regular backups of that to a 2TB USB drive (fairly cheap) using dd (embedded distro only has rsync and dd).
Using a NAS also makes it a little bit easier to add storage; most will allow expansion with USB drives (slow but effective), and it's not unrealistic to get devices with 4 bays and eSATA expansion (have you seen the 15-bay eSATA expansion boxes?) that allow serious storage growth (from 8TB up to 30TB or so) if needed.
I have 3 different Linux distributions in use (on 3 different machines, however), not counting the embedded Linux in devices (NAS, routers, etc...).
I switched to using VirtualBox for experimenting with new distros a few years ago to get out of the multi-boot headaches.

I, too, had issues with Ubuntu 10.10 (and 10.04), so I switched to Kubuntu at work (slightly more stable) for now, and have been evaluating a few different rolling distros because I don't see Ubuntu acting like a good community member anymore.
Ubuntu seems to be heading down the road of becoming a proprietary Linux-based O/S with their own "value-added" garbage (e.g. Ubuntu One) rather than a fully open GNU/Linux distribution.  I understand them wanting to find a commercial model that works, but I suspect the road they're on isn't it.

The NAS is a Buffalo LinkStation, by the way, I've been fairly impressed with the device and it's Linux internally (I had to root it to get ssh and rsync, but that turned out to be trivial to do), only thing I don't like is it's CIFS/Samba-only and doesn't support NFS or iSCSI.

I've done some poking around in Chromium O/S, and you're right; that belongs on devel.