Anyone know how to load DV from a Movie Camera over Firewire

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Dec 5 09:15:55 MST 2010

I have been trying to get dvgrab to work with my setup and I can't seem to
get it to grab the video from my camera over firewire. It starts the camera
says it is grabbing video, but never writes a file with the video to my hard
disk. Running dvgrab as a normal user occaisionally gives me a segmentation
fault. Even running it as root does not create an output file.

A typical run:
orca:/home/mark/Movies/Savage/clips# dvgrab -f dv2 foo-
Found AV/C device with GUID 0x0800460102561c47
Waiting for DV...

"": damaged frame near: timecode ??:??:??.?? date ????.??.?? ??:??:??
This means that there were missing or invalid FireWire packets.

......quite a few of these as the camera starts and comes up to speed. Once
the camera is up to speed, they stop. I assume (perhaps incorrectly?) that
these are just due to the camera motor coming up to speed. After running for
a minute and no error messages I hit ctrl-C and get this:

^C"":     0.00 MiB 0 frames timecode 00:00:00.00 date 2010.12.05 09:10:52
Capture Stopped
Warning: 151 damaged frames.

I am running Debian testing amd64.

Google gave me this tip:
http://mylinuxramblings.wordpress.com/2010/01/02/grabbing-dv-from-a-video-camera-using-dvgrab-kdenlive/and
followed those simple instructions. Still noo ouput file. Is the
addition of the file raw1394.rules with the contents (*KERNEL==”raw1394″,
GROUP=”video”*) to /etc/udev/rules.d necessary?

I am trying to use Lives to edit the videos, but I can't even get past the
command line usage of dvgrab!

Thanks!

Mark