WAS: OT PLUG ...... NOW Still Medical Expenses and Walmart...

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:53:26 MST 2010

I worked for Walmart at 3 different spots in the country. The last location
my manager there made it a living hell. She did not grow up in the Walmart
culture. She grew up in the ranks in others stores cultures who were very
denigrating to women. 85-90% of shopping is still done by ladies, and they
listen to them an there are a lot hired by them. Moreso  in the western
states versus the eastern did I see the glass ceiling broke and more women
actually Store Managers. In my 2 "western" stores I had the best experience.
Walmart doesn't tell its employees to go get food stamps, in fact the food
stamp people will kick you out the door because you have a job. Arizona as a
'right to work" state... that's a joke. Walmart paid me $2 more an hour than
the local "swedish" Security company who were the worst mizers I saw in my
life. It only got worse from there for pay with the smaller fish. Every job
paid a different wage and most were at the $8ish range plus or minus and
they wanted you to travel 40-60 miles or more a night with gas prices at
$3/gal.. I digress... At my stores they expected you to come to work, oh my
a gross tragedy. Show up in uniform and do your job, which was get the
product off the trucks and to the floor. What employer wouldn't expect
that.. They did have more "benefits" available than say my security company
did, but again nothing that I needed coverage on, and it was all prior
exclusions.

Now somewhere in this thread. Yes Walmart DOES force the local communities
to give HUGE HUGE HUGE tax breaks or they just don't move into the area.
Most areas capitulate because they want to be seen as progressive and grow
up, and there is a tax income to be made from their sales. When you avg 2000
people a day from Mon-Thurs, and 4-8000 or more from from Fri to Sun coming
in your store. That's a big chunk of change for the city coffers. Now before
you cry fowl, one reason behind the tax cuts is like any other business it
costs millions to construct a facility, hire staff, and get the ball rolling
before you ever make a dollar so they are trying to stay competitive in that
down time. So it is a give an take. If any of you have been out to Buckeye
you would know that one warehousing distribution area is out there, the
other is Casa Grande I believe. They service a huge area, Walmart drivers
are probably one of the safest in the industry, Walmart does for EACH of its
stores have some kind of community outreach, the employees take care of
their own and Walmart has had to swallow it's pride and lose some cash to do
the right thing for chronically ill employees, for the most part the culture
that I was in was highly positive. The PUSH for environmental friendliness,
and green living and I know there is a bottom line and shareholders, but
they do want to be THE place to shop were people can get what they need and
more in one place at one time for a lower price. There was one lady she
couldn't have been all of 5'3 and 100# soaking wet, she could kick your ass
at unloading a truck and manual labor for the backend. I have to say out of
any employer with 1987 at Safeway being another time that Walmart treated me
as an individual an with respect the most. Go into #2554 I think it was on
Dysart/10, and talk to the people that have been there while I'm sure they
would say the same things about what I have mentioned in this blurb.

vp

Remember it's not that we have something to hide, we just have nothing we
want to show.
---Keep tunnelling.