OT: Win: Starting a windows enterprise admin group

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Aug 26 11:30:07 MST 2010

JD Austin wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:06, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net
> <mailto:ejs at shubes.net>> wrote:
>
>     Bryan O'Neal wrote:
>
>         As stated in a recent thread there seems to be a substantial lack of
>         decent windows admin groups.  Particularly ones with the culture we
>         enjoy here. The solution - start one. I know a dozen or so
>         people here
>         who are forced to admin windows boxes and would like a collective
>         support group like what we have for plug. The next questions is
>         do we
>         have
>         1) Support - I am not founding another insta-dead group. The
>         world has
>         too many already
>         2) Name - How does MAUG sound - Microsoft Admin Users Group. The
>         Maug
>         are a group of islands in southeast asia near Japan.
>
>         If I get more then 10 responses I will have the mailing list and a
>         elchepo web page up tonight. After which I will start garnering
>         support from the windows community so we can get a few hundred
>         active
>         members into the fold as quickly as possible
>
>         Let me know
>

>     Did anything materialize regarding this?
>
>     I'm presently wrestling with a little samba roaming profile problem.
>     I expect the problem is my lack of windows knowledge, and such a
>     group would be useful.
>
>     I don't think the group would necessarily need meetings. I'm just
>     looking for a mailing list. I could host the mailing list I suppose,
>     provided that I could find someone to provide a mail relay for
>     sending messages (I'm limited in that capacity, as I'm on a dynamic
>     IP address).
>
>     --
>     -Eric 'shubes'
>

> I'm fighting a roaming profile issue right now also in SME Server.

Thanks, JD. I seem to remember that now, but missed it when I reviewed
the thread this morning.

Looks like 'Cherry' is doing some spammy postings. I hate that type of
noise. One of the reasons I dislike google groups.

Anyhow, what's your problem with roaming?

I've got redirection working on selected profile folders via
NTConfig.POL (speeds up logging on/off tremendously), and the profiles
out from under home, so homes are handled by dfs. All user data
(including redirections) is now on a 2nd samba file server, except for
the remaining profile folders. I'm getting permissions error (profile
ownership) when logging on when I try to use profiles on the 2nd samba
server.

--
-Eric 'shubes'