URGENT question on Qwest WiFi routers...

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:48:41 MST 2010

I do know qwest does use allot of 2wire devices. And i have seen the
myqwestxxxx said but have not observed it changeing

On Aug 26, 2010 10:39 AM, "R P Herrold" <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Jim March wrote:

> I need to know if anybody has encountered a WiFi router tha...
I have encountered such, but not specifically in the 'myqwest' vendor
namespace; Many '2-wire' routers chose to set a SSID, based on a hash of the
MAC address plus a 'salt', and perhaps an initial setup 'password' based on
the UUID (serial number) of the unit

A hash is used to prevent a predictable sequence attack inot a search space
bigger than afforded by say WEP; I have not looked as to the later wireless
WPA / WPA2 -- as I recall there was a design flaw in WPA necessitating the
'2' variant

This is, I believe, a common and reasonable approach to permit a customer to
have limited config rights, and if it becomes necessary to reconfig from
scratch, to push a 'restore to factory' recessed button with a paperclip,
and clean up a mess

-- Russ herrold