Recommendations for server hardware (1U and 2U)..

Michael March mmarch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 07:59:43 MST 2010

Brian / Joseph,

Where are you guys buying your SuperMicro servers from (if you don't mind
saying)?

One thing people at my shop like about Dell / HP is that you can get 4 hour
on-site service as an options. Do any of the SuperMicro vendors offer that?

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:

> I'll second Joseph's recommendation for SuperMicro servers.  I've used
> quite a few of them and have had no major issues as well.  I'll also add
> that they are easy to find and won't necessarily tie you to any particular
> distributer, so you can shop around for support.
>
> Brian Cluff
>

> On 08/21/2010 12:14 AM, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>
>> I've been running more SuperMicro servers the past couple years.
>> No major issues with several different Linux distros, multiple BSD's.
>> Their IPMI firmware is particularly nice with the option for full remote
>> console (including GUI if you have one installed) via a dedicated ethernet
>> port.
>>
>> Their Blade servers are nice for virtual systems, or the Twin2
>> (2RU/4servers) chassis.
>>
>> They also have good high density storage servers with 36 hot-swap 3.5"
>> drives in 4RU and a new chassis due soon with 72 2.5" hot-swap drives in
>> 4RU.  The JBOD expanders (45 drives in 4RU) are good for NFS file servers
>> and backup servers.
>>

>> Michael March wrote:
>>
>>> For a few years I've been running HP servers and while they have
>>> performed
>>> well (running CentOS and Ubuntu) I've hated HP's support.
>>>
>>> Now that its time to buy more gear I was wondering what everyone out
>>> there
>>> is running and happy with.
>>>
>>> FWIW, I'm running Xen on top of CentOS and Ubuntu on bare metal.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations would be appreciated!

<admiral>

Michael F. March ----- mmarch at gmail.com
Ph: (415)462-1910 ---- Fax: (602)296-0400
P.O. Box 2254 ---- Phoenix, AZ 85002-2254