SMEServer?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Aug 16 11:16:19 MST 2010

Hey JD,

Howareya?

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 8:07 AM, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> Anyone on the list have experience with SMEServer?
> I'm trying to get a new instance going and it keeps dropping the bridged
> network from eth0->eth1
> where it won't route traffic.  It did the same thing when I was running it
> virtualized on the same box under Proxmox (now it's running native).
> Restarting the network 'fixes' it for awhile.  I'm not sure if it's a bug in
> SMEServer or if it's a quirk of the hardware on this Dell Poweredge T110
> server.
>
> JD
> -- JD Austin
> Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
> http://www.twingeckos.com
> Voice: 480.288.8195x201
> Voice: 480.269.4335 (480 2MY Geek)
> Fax: 480.406.6753
> jd at twingeckos.com
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> AZTelcom Solutions
> Voice:480.270.4368
> jd.austin at aztelcom.com
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Xorcom USA
> Technical Support
> jd.austin at xorcom.com

SMEServer is based on CentOs/Fedora/Redhat.

udev will reassign the network card from one device to another, or from one
interface to another if it has issues negotiating.

This is commonly seen with Dell PowerEdge servers running broadcom ethernet
cards.
Check your firmware and card versions against your kernel driver to verify
conditions and consider adding:

1) udev hammered down ethernet configuration options

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/udev.htm  (I know this is not Debian, but udev
is udev!)

2) change from/to autonegotiate (sensitive from some switches) to hammered
down settings:

Autoneg and switch optimization:
http://serverfault.com/questions/106160/should-network-hardware-be-set-to-autonegotiate-speeds-or-fixed-speeds

"eth-tool -s"

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-change-the-speed-and-duplex-settings-of-an-ethernet-card/

Broadcom Information on neg:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php

3) static configuration options in Network Manager:

These can be manipulated as well, with routing information, ifup conditions
and other tricks:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/

Hope this helps!

--