How to do two or more rsyncs with one password?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Aug 15 13:49:18 MST 2010

Hey Joe!

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> How can one do two or more rsyncs with entering the password just once?
>
> I've set up a script that I named copy2blue to copy three specified
> subdirectories to my web hosted space, and it works fine, except it
> asks me to enter the password for each 'rsync' command.
>
> How can I modify this so it will only ask for the password once?
>
> cd /dir/subdir1
> rsync -avHp --progress subdir1 webhost at box000.bluehost.com:www/subdir1/
>
> cd /dir/subdir2
> rsync -avHp --progress subdir2 webhost at box000.bluehost.com:www/subdir2/
>
> cd /dir/subdir3
> rsync -avHp --progress subdir3 webhost at box000.bluehost.com:www/subdir3/
>
> I agree with Kevin in this.
User keys are the best solution.

However, in PCI Compliance, SSH, (even via keys) are often not allowed as
the root user, depending on your switch/firewall and VLAN settings.

I am assuming you are not worried about that (just setup SSH keys and run
your command and you will not be prompted for the passwords):

http://troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html

You could also only allow forced commands in SSH via the key (for security):
PermitRootLogin forced-commands-only (explained in the Link)

Where root SSH key exchange is not possible, you could alternately add
expect (outside a production controlled SRC environment) and script in a
challenge and password to your "backup script".

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/09/01/backing-up-using-expect-and-rsync/

--
Office: (602)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452