Linux CP command

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Aug 12 16:52:18 MST 2010

Is mysql running when you do this copy?  You'll never get a consistent
snapshot of your data if it is.

Either use mysqldump, or stop the server prior to doing your copies.
If you use mysqldump, make sure you use the options to lock the
database, so you get a consistent dump.  If your application can't
tolerate the amount of database unavailability which is required
(either locking or from the server shutdown), set up a database slave
and take your copies/backups from the slave.

alex