Running BIND for home network name resolution

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 08:42:31 MST 2010

And depending the number of nodes you have Bind would make things easy to manage.  I have a LAMP dev box on a private IP (all my nodes are on a private IP).  I use the Windows host file to resolve any sites hosted on my dev box.  I use the TLD of "dev", like SomeSite.dev.  I put the IP of the LAMP box along with the name of the domain in the host file like this : 192.168.30.55 SomeSite.dev .

However I am not able to reach the dev site via a browser on any other computer on my network because there is no way to resolve to it.  If I had Bind setup then any computer on my network would be able to access the test sites I have on my LAMP box and it would be a great learning experience.

I would definitely setup Bind for your private net if you want to learn.

Keith Smith