Need Help with Grub

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Aug 10 11:06:39 MST 2010

How many drives do you have in this system.

It's currently trying to boot the second HDA IDE drive, partition 4.

It appears that your boot is actually stated as /dev/sda5
 5      64.5kB  198GB  198GB   logical   ext3         boot

I would try to change your system menu.1st to read hd0,5.  ATA disks appear
as /dev/sda while actually utilized as hd0 in GRUB:

root        (hd0,5)

Which is the boot partition below.

If you cannot boot that partition, verify it with fdisk; it's possible that
you have gotten a virus that corrupts your boot sector.

Boot your distro and select repair if possible.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> I have a system running Debian testing. It is a dual boot with a Windows
> partition. It has worked for years, but now somehow grub got confused. When
> I try to boot, I get an error 22 - partition not found. I booted uo knoppix,
> and the drive is there and I can see all the files.
>
> menu.list has
> title        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686
> root        (hd1,4)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/hdb5 ro
> initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
>
> parted from the knoppix disk shows:
> (parted) print all
> Model: ATA ST3200822A (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 200GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system  Flags
>  1      32.3kB  200GB  200GB   extended
>  5      64.5kB  198GB  198GB   logical   ext3         boot
>  6      198GB   200GB  2048MB  logical   linux-swap
>

> Model: ATA WDC WD2500AAJB-0 (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 250GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
>  1      32.3kB  250GB  250GB  primary  ext3
>
> I remember mucking with the drives a long time (years) ago - I moved the
> boot drive from the second position to the first position), but it booted
> fine after that and ran for years. I am surprised that the menu.list shows
> the boot drive in the second position. Anyway, when the system boots, the
> grub menu comes up. I tried editing the boot parameters  from
> root        (hd1,4)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/hdb5 ro

> root        (hd0,4)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/hda5 ro
>
> but I get this error message:
>
> root (hd0,4)
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> kernal.....
> [Linux-bz-Image, setup=0x3000, size=ox16ce50]
> Error 24 Attempt to access block outside partition
>
> All of the data seems to be intact when viewed from Knoppix.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix grub and get the system to boot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Office: (602)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452
http://it-clowns.com <http://it-clowns.com/wiki/index.php?title=Obnosis>
"Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether
impossible. "
--Stanislav Lem