What is the command to copy files from A to B when ssh connected?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Aug 3 13:56:30 MST 2010

Nice, Ben.

Two things to add:
.) -p option on scp will preserve attributes as well
.) if security is not a concern (on a local home network), you can omit
the '-e "ssh -l username"' and simply provide the remote user name (if
different that the current user name) like
'username at remote.host.name:/dest/location'
The transfer would be a little more efficient (but not necessarily
faster) w/out encryption.

Ben Trussell wrote:
> If you need to preserve attributes such as uid/gid (owner, group) and
> timestamps etc, you can use rsync:
>
>   rsync -av -e "ssh -l username"  /some/dir/locationA
> remote.host.name:/dest/location
>
> preserving extended attributed and ACLs?  try using
>
>   rsync -avAX -e "ssh -l username"  /some/dir/locationA
> remote.host.name:/dest/location
>
> Want to try it out first to see what *would* happen (test run)?
>
>   rsync --dry-run -avAX -e "ssh -l username"  /some/dir/locationA
> remote.host.name:/dest/location
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Bryan O'Neal
> <Bryan.ONeal at theonealandassociates.com> wrote:
>> With SCP only one box has to run an SSH server and it does not mater
>> which, destination or source, but it does change the syntax.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com
>> <kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
>>> There is not a "command to copy files from computer A to computer B when ssh
>>> logged in...", but you can use SSH as a "transport" (regardless of which
>>> computer you are logged-in-how, providing the the destination computer is
>>> running an SSH server and you have the appropriate credentials) using:
>>> Scenario 1:
>>> scp user at remotebox:/file/I/want /where/I/want/it
>>> or
>>> Scenario 2:
>>> scp /file/I/want user at remotebox:/where/I/want/it
>>> YMMV...   :)
>>> ET

-Eric 'shubes'