OT: Telephone land line and DSL alternatives?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Fri Apr 30 10:19:09 MST 2010

> If you have a cell phone, consider dropping the land line phone
> service entirely. I have Qwest DSL, with no phone service.
>
> If you think you need a phone line for fax, reconsider your faxing
> needs. Try life without fax. When you need to send a fax, there are
> services that will likely cost less than your phone line.
>
> If you must have a land line phone, consider using your own answering
> machine.

Thanks for all the responses.

Guess I didn't explain my requirements well enough.

I have two toll free numbers that come in on my two land lines
and need to be answered and record incoming messages reliably 24/7.
I've used answering machines in the past, but it has been inadequate
for my specialized needs.

I almost never use fax, but when I do it is free via faxzero.com.