samba config

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 27 16:41:21 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 14:51 +0000, Nadim Hoque wrote:
> Just to let you know I did mount the external in fstab already and all of my drives are ext 3 or 4 (ill check later). But I will try the group sticky notes. But other than these issues, is my smb.conf file pretty good? Another thing, do samba users also need the same passwords as the user on the linux machine?
----
execute the command (as root...)

testparm -sv > /tmp/samba-config.txt

and you can see the output from all the default values (those not
specified in your configuration)

As for passwords... samba keeps a password for each user which uses the
NT Hash mechanism and is obviously not compatible with various
mechanisms on Linux/UNIX. Thus on a samba server, I would have a
Posix/Linux user 'craig', with a password and then a samba user 'craig',
with a password and it can be entirely different.

Craig

believed to be clean.