Nokia N900

storkus at storkus.com storkus at storkus.com
Sat Sep 26 05:23:13 MST 2009

It's not just American companies in this case: Nokia reports that, while
they have a lot of interest, most carriers are also complaining that
Nokia won't let them "customize" it either.  As for said American
companies, this device is designed to work on T-Mobile USA's network as
far as 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) goes (AT&T's band plans are different, I
guess--for the same reason my AT&T/Cingular V3xx won't do 3G on T-Mobile
if unlocked), but since they can't lock it they won't sell it, and this
was confirmed by a sales rep in a store yesterday (a week ago they
didn't know what I was talking about, so enough people must be asking
around the country that they put out a general memo to all stores).
OTOH, he confirmed that, while they won't sell it, they have no problem
putting a 3rd party phone on the network (even 3G portions) as long as
it's compatible.

Of course, all this is moot if you're die-hard on a CDMA carrier and the
far better coverage they usually provide (along with ridiculously
locked-up phones).

My problem is that, while my inner geek is drooling over this, my
financial sense is saying, "Whooaaa, boy!" about blowing more than a
paycheck (for me) on this when I have a working cell phone and laptop.

I've been wondering about gaming on this for a while, so I did some
research: the GPU in this thing is a PowerVR SGX530, capable of OpenGL
2.0, DirectX 10.1, and 14Mpoly/s (from Wikipedia).  After a whole LOT of
research, which led me to a whole slew of devices with very similar core
architectures (iPhoneGS, Palm Pre, the Beagle Board, and the Pandora as
a small sample), it looks like it has a good chance of playing Open
Arena, but not more advanced games like Urban Terror (with more
textures, bigger maps and memory footprint, etc).  One big problem: it
does indeed have NTSC/PAL TV-out, but no VGA for a monitor--got to
wonder about THAT choice!  For regular (non-gaming) purposes, I'm
guessing one of those USB->monitor dongles may work if the kernel in
this thing supports it.

Oh, and Bob, thanks for the link: I see why my search over my PLUG mail
folder didn't find it: I used "n900", but no one mentioned it by name!

Finally, everyone is taking pre-orders.  Wikipedia says the expected US
ship date is the 27th, while mobilecityusa.com says their expected
arrival date is October 12th: at least the wait is almost over.

Mike