a Karmic Koala Goodness

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:54:04 MST 2009

Last month I gave a talk at the East Side meeting and talked about netbooks
and using different distributions.  All seemed to have issues even if they
were mostly resolvable.  I downloaded the Ubuntu Netbook Remix Alpha 6
version of Karmic Koala and made a live USB stick.  That booted up on my
ASUS eeePC 1000 and everything worked out of the box including the webcam,
bluetooth (even for the MS 5000 bluetooth mouse), and touchpad.  While it
did not already include anything to totally turn off the touchpad, it could
turn it off while typing.

Now I was able to crash it, but it was still the alpha phase and I only ran
it from the stick without installing so that was not a surprise.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson