RC Service Order

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 16 18:59:55 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 18:38 -0700, Eric Cope wrote:
> I need openvpn, then samba, and finally pf (packet filter). Its
> currently the reverse order.
> I know where the conf file is, where is the script?
----
I don't know enough about BSD but in general, you want the packet filter
scripts to run early, even before network devices are up and running
because if you have a system hang in between starting the network
devices and the packet filtering, you have a very exposed system.

I would suspect that the reason you are wanting to fiddle with what is
probably an already well considered sequence is to try to get around a
problem that should probably be solved elsewhere.

It seems to me that having pf, samba and openvpn load in this order is
the logical way. Whatever problems you are experiencing are probably
best solved without tinkering with this.

Craig

believed to be clean.