Looking for Hardware Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Sep 10 16:30:50 MST 2009

Eric,

Thanks for your auggestions. I am guessing that I do need the speed. I
originally had the backups running to internal IDE drives on a P3 500 MHz
and there was not enough time at night to do all the backups. By that I mean
some backups had to be rescheduled. Now, I do not profess to be a backuppc
expert, and I have since read that using blowfish with ssh will speed that
up, and I may have had the backuppc maintenance running at the same time as
the  backups, which will slow it down. So, I have two more options to speed
things up in the configuration of the softbware.

I have 6 LAN machines, and three remote machines on the Internet. I use
backuppc with rsync over ssh. One of the LAN and one of the remote machines
are servers with medium size databases, so they take time to snapshot (OODB,
not msyql).

Instead of making this project a large research project to time everything
and figure out what I need exactly (I am not being paid for this work!), I
decided to spend a few more bucks on the eSata stuff since it is as fast as
I can go within a reasonable budget, and then tweak the backuppc configs as
needed if I run out of bandwidth. Not very scientific, but somewhat
practical and a little more expensive.

As always, I am open to differing opinions and new ideas, so don't worry
about offending me if you think I am totally missing the mark! (no pun
intended).

Mark