Printer Recommendation

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Sep 10 03:27:20 MST 2009

Hi Mark!

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 23:47 -0700, Mark Jarvis wrote:
> >
> > We have an HP Laserjet 1018 printer. I like it fine, except . . . it
> > doesn't feed the paper straight. No matter how I fiddle with the feed
> > guides, the output is almost always skewed 1/16-1/18 inch. This
> > creates a problem when we go to use the output as masters to run off a
> > church newspaper.

I recently priced and and compared printers, and found that the EPSONs were,
by far the best value for the cost.  I replaced a HP PCS All-In-One that was
worth it's weight in gold (for ink cartridges) with an EPSON Workforce 600
that prints, scans, faxes and copies using a document feeder, and includes
the nice feature of network IP via wireless as well as wired.  IP printing
is easier to setup across platforms for all my systems (Apple/Mac, Windows,
FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux).  I like mine a great deal, especially since it's a
low energy hog.

Of course, if you are printing a great number of color items regularly,
Kinkos is going to be the most economical, while giving a good result, once
you factor in ink cartridge prices.

Of course that's not going to be the 600 dpi printing of the HP 1012,
instead, it's
up to 9600 x 9600 dpi.

I haven't attempted to do any faxing over a grandstream ATA using VOIP,
however, but a land line would be especially nice with this printer for
faxing.

Scanning is screaming fast and high quality, and of particular benefit is
the document feeder (if you have ever had to create a large number of
documents collated from a stack).  I haven't tried to use any OCR linux
tools with her yet, but the Mac software that comes with it, seems solid and
includes an OCR and print to PDF function/feature.

I paid a good deal more for my printer, however, you can snarf this model
for just $39.99 right now from OfficeMax:
http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21694873

Here's the current price comparison for the great product:
http://bensbargains.nextag.com/Epson-WorkForce-600/zzbensbargainszB1z0--search-html

 > Any suggestions on how to either a) effectively de-skew the printer or
> > b) a printer (within a home budget) that can be counted on to print
> > exactly straight?
> >
> > FWIW, we earlier had an HP Laserjet 1012 which had essentially the
> > same problem.
> ----
> just for kicks, try using 24 lb paper, that is all I have used for many,
> many years.
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.

(623)239-3392