OT: What is the best antenna for getting Phoenix area TV channels?

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 15:59:57 MST 2009

Two important things
1) Where are you located? Many TV channels broadcast from South Mountain
(east side). If you have a directional antenna, make sure its pointed in the
correct direction.
2) Make sure you are using the correect cable. Improper matching will kill
you signal. If your antenna requires 75Ohm, use 75Ohm, etc.

Eric

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:

> Josef Lowder wrote:
> > What is the best antenna for getting Phoenix area TV channels?
> >
> > I gave up cable years ago (too much money for too little worth
> > watching).  Tried dish and it was no better.  For a long time, we were
> > getting excellent reception from a simple $4.95 top-of-set antenna,
> > even when we got a new Vizio HD TV a year ago.
> >
> > But recently, the signal for some channels ... especially channel 15
> > ... has become unreliable.  Sometimes the signal breaks up and
> > sometimes it goes away entirely.
> >
> > So, I purchased a $50 Philips outdoor antenna and mounted it on a
> > 15-foot tall pole outside. It gets even worse reception than my little
> > old $4.95 indoor top-of-set antenna.  I've tried moving it to several
> > different locations and tried rotating it to every degree of
> > 360-degrees with no success.
> >
> > So what would the collective PLUG intelligence recommend?
>
> Why do you presume it's the antenna? I'd bet it's the wiring you're
> using. RG6 is best, preferably quad shield, although some dual shield is
>  impressive. RG59 won't deliver digital signals effectively, only
> analog. You might find that your set top antenna works fine with RG6
> cable. The antenna simply needs to receive traditional VHF and UHF
> frequencies (channels 8,10,12 are back in the VHF spectrum now).
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

Eric Cope
http://cope-et-al.com