Network Manager & Keyring

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Sep 7 15:00:42 MST 2009

Matthew,
The short answer is that, AFAIK, you cannot do what you want.  NetworkManager is tied into the Gnome Keyring support, and won't let you manage your WiFi PSK yourself.  The keyring is in Gnome (or KDE if you're using that desktop), NetworkManager just uses it (pretty much everything in the desktop is moving to using the keyring, in an effort to work more like Windows).
You can go into the Gnome tool (Applications|Accessories|Password And Encryption Keys) to manage the keyring, but NetworkManager is pretty much going to require you to use the keyring for WiFi keys.
It makes sense from a "we want to be easy for Windows users" viewpoint, but it removes a lot of choice.
If you want to manage things yourself, don't use NetworkManager, it's 100% designed to dumb-down the system so that no knowledge of networking is required, great for non-technical users, not-so for people who prefer more control.
You can also just reset the current WiFi settings by removing the relevant network from your list of known networks, then it will have to prompt you for the settings next time you connect (but you'll have to remove it again if you want a prompt again, since it'll automatically add it to the known list).