Network Manager & Keyring

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Sun Sep 6 18:47:24 MST 2009

Hello all,

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on an IBM thinkpad (T30). Recently, I have been
having trouble with Network-Manager. So, I bought a new USB wireless
receiver. I was able to install it without any trouble, and it is
working fine. All of the available networks in my area, show up in the
Network-Manager menu, however, when I click on one it just times out.
After, investigating a little bit I found that Network-Manager asks me
for my keyring password instead of for the Pre-Shared-Key. In short,
NetMng is using the wrong password. It uses a password from the default
keyring, instead of asking me for the PSK. I am not sure when this
happened, since I had wireless working fine. Can I change it so that
Network-Manager askes me for the PSK, instead of it getting one from the
default keyring. If not, which keyring program does NetMng use and how
do I set it up or access it.

Thanks, in advance for your replies. Any help would be appreciated.
MatthewMPP