Linux losing stability?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Sep 3 18:12:52 MST 2009

Dazed_75 wrote:
> A very interesting train of thought at
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/linux-is-losing-its-stable-title-33866
>
> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
> occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
>  - Thomas Jefferson

My experience with linux (since RH9) has been a perception of steady
improvement, and I have a few problems with the article.

The author fails to differentiate between stable and "bleeding edge"
releases, something that the 3 leading linux distros provide for.

The author also fails to point out (or realize) that linux's reputation
for stability has been achieved on servers and embedded devices, not
desktops and notebooks.

The author also fails to name any problem specifically (which automatic
service setup processes is he talking about?), with the exception of
Ubuntu's network manager. My experience with that has been that it
didn't work very well before Hardy, but in Hardy it works fine. I hear
that there have been problems with network manager enhancements in
subsequent releases, but I think that's to be expected given that Hardy
is the most recent LTS (stable) release.

Yes, there are still a few kinks to work out with linux on desktops.  I
think that various (desktop) instabilities are due to being on the
bleeding edge, with features that have never existed in stable releases.

BL, I don't think that the author is seeing the whole picture, which
leads him to a false conclusion. At the same time however, more
consistency and standardization across distros wouldn't hurt. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'