OT: Anyone know of a simple credit card billing option?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Oct 31 13:49:42 MST 2009

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, JD Austin wrote:

> I eventually went with Authorize.net with a real merchant account since it
> was too big of a risk selling some things on Paypal (they always side with
> the buyer).

hunh.  This has not been my experience, having qualified a
merchant account for a couple of businesses under Pay Pal's
clearing bank.  Actually, as I think about it, that merchant
account have had not had a single disputed chargeback upheld
in the last five years.

This does not mean that a 'hold' on funds is not placed during
a dispute's resolution, but that is standard anywhere in the
ISO (independent servicing organizations) part of the credit
card industry [I worked as a consultant to a major national
firm for many years in this space, on IT, PCI/CISP, and risk
department automation matters].

An adequately capitalized and 'real' and non-adult content
business addresses that 'risk' by having a 'throwaway' bank
account (and at a financial instution not holding the business
'normal' accounts to avoid a possible 'right of offset')
behind the remittance account, and sucking funds out to taste.
[Note that part of obtaining a merchant account usually
includes signing a contract providing for guarantee by a 'deep
pocket' behind an account, and an arbitration clause -- part
of the cost of being a real business]

- Russ herrold