USB Thumb Drive Issues?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Oct 29 08:17:21 MST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM, mike Enriquez <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:

> I have a 4GB PNY thumb drive that has issues? It has become "Write
> Protected". It is an Optima pro Attache. I searched the net and nothing
> that I have found has helped me out.
> Has any one in the group had this happen to them and how did you remove
> the write protection.
> I cannot see any special files on it except 2 of my own.
> Any suggestions out there?
> Thanks
>
> Mike Enriquez

Hi Mike!

There are a load of Window$ type repair suggestions here (Since this is a
known bug in Xp SP2):
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18654-USB-Flash-Drive-Write-protection.html

Linux solutions are going to be basic drive management:

plug in usb flash drive and mount (if you don't have automouter)

dmesg to verify the device:

# dmesg
# mkdir /mnt/usbwork
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbwork
(it might whine that you didn't specify the type if so:)
# mount -t vfat (or NFS) /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbwork
# cd /mnt/usbwork
Copy off your old files
# cp -r * $HOME
# umount /mnt/usbhome
# fdisk /dev/sda

Remove all the partitions using  the "d" command.
create new partitions using the "n" command (you only really need one big
one)
set the file type "W95 FAT32 (LBA)"  (or ext3 if making a bootable Linux
distro) "t" (types will display)
if this is going to hold a distro set the bootable flag "a"
check your work:  "p"
save "w"

Lay on a file system (that matches your file type):

mkfs.vfat -I -n USBDRIVE /dev/sda1

Your drive should work now just fine!

Reference:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346737
--