USB Thumb Drive Issues?

unixprgrmr01 at gmail.com unixprgrmr01 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:30:57 MST 2009

Mike,

Don't know if you have solved the problem yet but there are a few of ways to
view what is ACTUALLY on the drive.  These all take advantage of the fact
that in UNIX all devices are treated like files and all files 'can' in most
circumstances... be treated like devices.

mount the drive and then do:

cat [full drive path] > /tmp/foo Then do vi /tmp/foo

strings [full drive path] | more

OR for a MORE detailed view

od -c [full drive path] | more

There are still other methods but these are 3 of the simplest and give
various degrees of detail.  All require some time commitment depending on
the number files that are hidden etc. etc.  Familiarity with directory and
file delimiting control/escape chars and the "FILE" structure is helpful.

Good luck!
Lynn

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM, mike Enriquez <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:

> I have a 4GB PNY thumb drive that has issues? It has become "Write
> Protected". It is an Optima pro Attache. I searched the net and nothing
> that I have found has helped me out.
> Has any one in the group had this happen to them and how did you remove
> the write protection.
> I cannot see any special files on it except 2 of my own.
> Any suggestions out there?
> Thanks
>
> Mike Enriquez

Best Regards,