Linode or Slicehost?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sun Oct 25 22:28:49 MST 2009

On 10/25/09 2:19 PM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>     Are these comparable services?  Are there any major advantages over either?
>
>   -jmz

They are roughly the same.  In fact, a couple years ago when I was
researching VPS solutions, I found that quite a few services were all
roughly the same.

I ended up going with ServerAxis for one reason: for the same services,
they were a good $20-$30 cheaper than the competition.  Even now, after
raising their prices, their 1GB option is still $20 than Linode or
Slicehost.

The difference is that the ServerAxis servers are completely unmanaged.
  You can get cPanel (and maybe Plex) for an additional fee, bringing it
up to the price of the competition... but who needs those?  I've setup
countless servers without cPanel and Plex so why start using them now?
I'm much rather save the $240/yr.

I've had them for two years now and have never had a problem.  I've
submitted maybe four tickets (all for additional things like reverse DNS
and the like -- no problems) and all have been answered and addressed
within hours.

Kurt