scp times out

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Oct 23 15:12:05 MST 2009

Then Matt Graham wrote:
> No changes in a year? What? Don't you keep the system updated?

That's correct. I have several computers, on some of which I do
regular updates, but on my "old reliable" I never make changes
(or updates) because it works more reliably than any of my other
computers.  I tried doing updates on it a couple of times and each
time the updates royally messed everything up so bad that it took
me weeks to get it back to working reliably again.  So that is how
I keep it, and it never fails.  Can't say the same for the others.

Change is not always good.

In this case, I've finally figured out that the scp problem is apparently
related to the fact that I changed modem/routers and the new Motorola
router (from Qwest) has apparently created the current problem.

Today, I found that I had to enable passthrough in order to be able to
pass files between computers on my network, but in doing that, the
inet address got messed up and now I can't get that reset to the
correct inet address.

I've searched the 'net and tried everything I could find to try.
One time I did get it working, but then (apparently) the router
messed it up again. I've tried:

# dhclient -r
# dhclient
# ifdown eth0
# ifup eth0
# /etc/init.d/network restart

... and a bunch of other things.  After many repeated attempts,
at one point, ifconfig showed the correct inet address and I was
able to connect ... but then it self-disconnected somehow and
I've not been able to get it restored.

This is just another reason why, once I get a computer system
to work correctly, I dread changing things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Once you get it fixed, don't mess with it.