off-site backup plan

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Oct 21 14:45:23 MST 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Lyle Tuttle wrote:

> Have you looked at ShadowProtect?
>
> http://www.storagecraft.com/
>
> Not for Linux......

Well, rather than 'not for Linux', I'd say it's 'only for Windows'.
So it can't back up any of my systems.

I got a great suggestion a while back, and have been very happy with
rdiff-backup.  http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/message/20080713.204539.3859a21c.en.html

I'm not really looking for backup software.  I was curious if anyone
on the list knew about how linux software RAID would handle having the
hot spare in a RAID1 removed and replaced with a new drive.  The
thread has evolved a little since then, and I'm interested in other
ideas for doing off-site backups, but I really don't need a
replacement backup software package.

My question maybe has become more hardware-oriented, regarding SATA
hot-swapping.  So maybe I should try another list as well.  Can anyone
recommend another hardware-specific list I might try?

thanks,
alex