off-site backup plan

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Wed Oct 21 12:46:18 MST 2009

Ah yes, you have pour Internet. For the last company I worked for that had a
decent set of local servers (a 1/2 $billion company construction company) I
did online backups and it took about ~90min (sometimes more sometimes less)
and ran twice a day. In truth, there were a dozen of boxes pushing out data
in a stepped pattern, so it would take 60min even if nothing changed.
However the router had it on a low priority so it never affected traffic and
the servers could care less if it was running so it never effected
performance even with the massive encryption.For the latest company, most of
our data was on hosted servers since no more then a half dozen people would
be in any one location at a time. The bandwidth there was unbelievable so
the only bottle neck was the disk I/O.  Still is took some time to do each
days backup but, again, it never effected performance.