off-site backup plan

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Oct 21 08:21:12 MST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> I make regular backups to a software RAID1 disk array.  I'd like to
> periodically store some backups offsite.  Been thinking about buying 2 extra
> drives, and adding 1 of them as a hot spare to the RAID1.  Then remove it
> from the array, store it elsewhere, and add the other disk in its place as
> the hot spare.  Every week or so, I'd plan to swap the offsite disk with the
> current hot spare.
>
> It seems like this should work.  Anyone care to comment?  If I buy a
> hot-swap drive bay for the server, can I add/remove normal SATA drives
> without restarting the OS?
>
> I was looking at something like this StarTech caddie, which protects the
> disk a bit more than other disk enclosures.
>
> http://www.startech.com/item/DRW110SATBK-Black-Serial-ATA-Drive-Drawer-with-Shock-Absorbers-Value-Series.aspx
>
> thanks,
> alex

Hi Alex,

I have regularly used the hardware RAID in HP Proliants and Dell 6850/2850
servers for backups.

The benefits are:

1) No local network load/bottleneck requiring backend backup networks or
VLANS.
2) No upstream bandwidth costs.
3) Can be rebuilt while the server is running, if you lose one partition for
instance.
4) Are especially good in HIPPA and PCI Compliant networks, where I/O and
access must be limited and encrypted.

Of course for mission critical data, I recommend RAID 5 or RAID 1+0 at the
very least.

AND ALL BACKUPS REQUIRE A RESTORE TEST - laugh!  You all can appreciate this
point?

Skype: (623)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452
www.obnosis.com