off-site backup plan

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Oct 20 09:22:56 MST 2009

From: JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Matt Graham wrote:
>> From: JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com>
>>> One gotcha is that depending on where they plug it in it can be
>>> sda, sdc, sdd etc.  I wrote a script to figure out where it is
>> *Wrote a script*?
>>
>> /dev/disk/by-id/ , /dev/disk/by-uuid/ , and the -L option to
>> mount are probably better solutions for that.
> Tried that.. doesn't work with Fat32 drives :)

machine:~$ grep bigred /etc/fstab
LABEL=bigred  /mnt/bigred       vfat    user,noauto,umask=000   0  0
machine:~$ mount /mnt/bigred
machine:~$

...just because there's no tune2fs -L for FAT doesn't mean it can't
be done.  The label for FAT starts at byte 71 of the partition and
goes for 11 bytes.  echo -n 'string' | dd of=/dev/sdX1 bs=1 seek=71
and you've got a FAT label on /dev/sdX1.

/dev/disk/by-id/ is also not dependent on whatever filesystem is on
the disk or partition.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows