off-site backup plan

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue Oct 20 08:11:14 MST 2009

On Oct 20, 2009, at 9:01 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:

>>> and pushing all this data over my internet
>>> connection isn't feasible.
> Yes, it is...
> If you use http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/, you can put everything
> outside.
> BackupPC will use rsync (minimal traffic) and will use md5 numbers
> to avoid
> copying a file more than once (minimal space)
>
> The first shot will be painful, but after that, it is perfectly
> possible
> over just about any decent connection.
> I can provide you resources in my little datacenter if you go that
> way.
> Lemeno...
> ET

I do appreciate the offer, but that's not how I want to do my
backups.  Maybe 'feasible' wasn't a good choice of words on my part.
I could instead say "pushing all that data over my internet connection
isn't desired."

   1. I already use librsync (in rdiff-backup) and the backup job
takes three hours to run just on my LAN.  I can only guess how much
longer it would take going to a remote server, but I'm sure it'd be a
significant increase.  (I don't have great upload speeds.)
   2. Most importantly, I want to physically secure the backup drive
myself, not have it sitting on a server in a data center I can't access.

thanks,
alex