Linux vs OpenBSD as a router

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Oct 19 15:10:47 MST 2009

On Monday 19 October 2009 14:46:54 Paul Mooring wrote:
> I've been running linux routers using iproute2 and iptables for a while
> now, and openBSD just had a new release which has me considering
> switching my home setup to a BSD pf solution.  Does anyone have any
> experience comparing the two?  I guess I'm also concerned about other
> software I use on my linux router not being supported in openBSD
> (OpenVPN, OpenSwan, and Quagga primarily).

While one system may have strengths or weaknesses and one may be more secure
than the other, no system will ever be more secure than the one you know.
Don't pick a system you know nothing about and use software you are not
familiar with and expect it to be a safer solution than the one you are
familiar with and know how to use.

then again, the most inexperienced user on the planet who couldn't find his
way home if standing in front of his house could still manage to install
Ubuntu and be more secure than windows... ha ha!

--

Nathan England