Quick question on IDE raid setups...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 14:16:30 MST 2009

Folks,

Say I have an HP 17" laptop with DUAL hard drive bays (IDE).  I buy
two WD 320gig IDE drives but oops, I only have a "caddy" (little metal
tray) for one drive.  I can get another but it'll be here in two
weeks.  I put one brand new drive in the one caddy I have available,
load Linux (say, Ubuntu Karmic beta), get it all running and tuned.

Two weeks later the other caddy comes in, I drop the 2nd hard disk in
- how easy is it to now create a raid-1 mirror in software, doing "on
the fly backup"?

I assume I don't need hardware support for that, right?

Thanks...

Jim