power supply

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 22:15:12 MST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:00 PM, mike havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My lap top keeps turning itself off usually right after I start another
> application as if it caused too much draw. Sometimes I can go days w/o it
> turning itself off while other times it won't stay on 30 seconds. This tells
> me it is the power supply. Am I correct? Where would I get a power supply
> for a laptop?

First thing to try: with the power off, remove the battery, plug it
back in, run it that way.  If there's no problems, then you have
either one or more shorted cells or the charge controller circuit in
the battery pack is shot.  Replace battery pack.

If it's still glitching, it's your "brick".  Good source for cheap
replacements at the bottom of this page:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=PWR

They'll cost you double at SWS, even worse at Beast Buy.  Hmmm...Fry's
Electronics might have something at a reasonable price though.

The aftermarket "universal/multi-tip" types are almost always cheaper
than a new factory replacement.  Make sure you get one with as much
output wattage as your original (it will be written on there
somewhere).

Jim