Horked-up system, Fedora 11

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Oct 14 06:47:10 MST 2009

On 10/13/2009 10:37 AM, Ed wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Vaughn Treude<vltreude at deru.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hello again:
>> This is kind of embarrassing, but I found the problem.
>> I'd had scads of disk space before, so I hadn't thought of checking
>> that. The root partition was 100% full! There were gigantic message log
>> files under /var/cache/logwatch. For the time being I have disabled
>> SELinux since it was responsible for a good portion of these messages.
>> Guess I better figure out what it's supposed to be doing. :-)
>> Vaughn
>>

> It is usually a good idea to set up /var as it's own partition for
> this very reason - other reasons include mounting /var noexec and even
> nodev for security.

     That's a good idea.  I was just pondering over that, when I was
reconfiguring the system, whether it made sense to put stuff in separate
partitions anymore. Normally I just have root and home.
> Disabling SELinux is just a kludge - if DRM is the problem, you might
> try a different video driver - what does your CentOS use? Is the video
> hardware OK with DRM? and are any of the capacitors on the card
> swollen - I've seen some with the same problems as mobos. It really
> presents when they are being driven hard.

     I've never been thrilled with my drivers on Centos, either, due to
the screensaver-hang problem. (At first I thought it was a coincidence,
given that it was hanging when the machine was otherwise idle, and of
course the screen saver would be on by then. But disabling it did make
the problem go away.) I need to replace a hard drive soon, so I'll check
the video card when I do that- doubt it's a hardware problem, though.
> I have found SELinux to be much better in Fedora 11 that the problem
> that it was in F10. Eventually you want to try running with it
> enforcing.

     I need to research SELinux; I'm not very familiar with what it does.
     Thanks for the feedback.

     VT